CUPE local 3912 has an opportunity for a motivated part-time faculty member who is interested in becoming more involved in the union that represents part-time faculty at Dalhousie, Mount St. Vincent, and St. Mary’s Universities. Applicants should be outgoing and be able to talk to small/medium size groups of people. No previous work experience with unions is required.
Working with, and reporting to, the local’s Executive Committee, the goals of this position are to contact, educate and mobilize CUPE 3912’s part-time faculty. The liaison will develop and use e-mail lists to notify members of events, bargaining updates, etc.
The liaison will be responsible for the following tasks:
1) Be responsible for co-ordinating effective communication between the Executive of CUPE 3912 and its membership.
2) Organize meetings either members either individually or in groups to provide information or obtain feedback.
3) Organize meetings between the vice-presidents (or other members of the Executive) and the membership.
4) Recruit stewards and collaborate with the vice-presidents to facilitate regular meetings of the stewards at the different universities.
5) In co-operation with the communications officer, develop educational and promotional materials such as ads, posters, and pamphlets and arrange for their distribution.
6) Provide a written report to the Executive.
7) Attend executive meetings at the discretion of the executive.
8) Attend CUPE 3912 general meetings.
The liaison must be a part-time faculty member at Dalhousie, Mount St Vincent or St. Mary’s and a member in good standing of CUPE 3912. Necessary Training will be provided.
While the time commitment will vary as issues dictate, the expected time commitment of the position is 10 hours per week.
Salary: Hourly rate will be $21.52.
Application deadline: March 21, 2014
Applications should be submitted to: Cupe3912@dal.ca