Job Posting – Database developer
CUPE local 3912 has a short-term opportunity for someone to develop a system to manage a database for our union that represents part-time faculty at Dalhousie, Mount St. Vincent, and St. Mary’s Universities; TAs, demonstrators and markers at Dalhousie University; and the Language Centre instructors at Saint Mary’s University. Applicants should be proficient with Microsoft Excel and possibly contact management or database software. No previous work experience with unions is required.
Working with, and reporting to, the local’s Executive Committee, the goals of this position are to develop a system for managing CUPE 3912’s membership database that can be used by any member of the executive.
The developer is an employee of CUPE 3912 and, as such, will be asked to sign a contract for a set period of time decided by the Executive. The Executive sets the primary goals and terms of employment.
Preference will be given to a member in good standing of CUPE 3912. No training will be provided by CUPE; the suitable candidate will be expected to have enough knowledge to complete the task.
The expected time commitment of the position is 10 hours per week for two months with a possible extension for a third month.
The developer will be responsible for the following:
1) Develop a user-friendly system that works with MailChimp for managing membership contact information with input from Excel files from the universities’ administrations and taking into account member teaching assignments in different semesters and at multiple departments and institutions.
2) Determine methods for calculating the number of members in different departments, at different institutions and for different time periods.
3) Ensure that the system can be used by others with limited competence in technology (i.e., very user-friendly).
4) Write a set of clear, easy-to-follow instructions.
5) Provide a monthly written report to the Executive.
6) To meet with the Communications Officer on a monthly basis to review activities of the previous month and to establish the priorities for the upcoming month.
7) Attend executive meetings at the discretion of the executive.
8) Attend CUPE 3912 general meetings during the contract.
Salary: Hourly rate will be $21.52.
Application (letter and cv) deadline: 14 January 2019
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com, subject line: Database developer
(please let us know if you are a member)